Making Your Lingerie Work for You
Make your underwear as stylish as your outerwear by working the latest trends hot from the lingerie catwalk.
1. Brights: Forget those lacy black numbers – brights are the new black this season, and when it comes to your underwear, the brighter the better. Opt for eye-catching neons in hot pink, highlighter yellow and fluorescent orange, or hop on the Argentine band wagon with seductive red. Cups and straps in contrasting (but never clashing) neon colours are also a great shout.
2. Tribal prints and polka dots: If you haven’t yet invested in that teeny-weeny polka dot bikini for summer, then it’s time to hit the shops. Prints, particularly polka dots and tribal motifs are huge this season – both in swimwear and in lingerie. An animal print bra coupled with black pants is the height of tribal chick – just add a chunky necklace to complete the look.
3. Sheer: In recent years there’s been a fashion for heavily underwired, intricately decorated and often strategically padded underwear, but this summer the fashion world has gone mad for all things sheer. You have to be daring to wear this look – particularly if you’re planning to match it with white or equally sheer outerwear – but if you’re brave enough to pull it off then sheer lingerie can look fantastic. The best sheer panties look fit for a supermodel without costing the earth – check out New Look for some great examples.
4. Lace: Trends may change in the world of lingerie, but lace never truly goes out of fashion. This summer, you’ll find it trimming pants, adding a flourish to bras and making up pretty, girly camisoles. Look for lace coupled with tulle detailing to really make the most of this fairytale look.
5. Colour contrast: If you’re not quite brave enough to wear neons, then the other major colour trend of the season is contrasting shades. Wear a contrasting bra and pants set, or look for lingerie which combines two or three bold colours. You’ll find some great inspiration at the Lingerie In Vogue blog, which charts the latest lingerie trends.